Created in 1791 by shipping owners from Nantes, the parc de la Gaudinière has been significantly extended and embellished from the 1860s onwards. The brick and freestone framework dates from this period, along with all the remarkable trees within the park, indigenous or exotic species which were planted in the XIXth and at the start of the XXth century.
Constructed by the Brousset family between 1864 and 1873, this château is built on the site of a former town house.
Made of brick and freestone, it is shown off to its best in the evening through the northern opening in the hardwood trees and the illumination of the area. The château was run as a physiotherapy centre for 25 years, flanked by modern buildings. It was restored by the City of Nantes at the start of the 1990s and has since regained its external charm.
The château’s outbuildings
The château's gatehouse is now located at the entrance to rue Diane, a few hundred metres away from its initial location. The property's garage, stables and outbuildings are now the SEVE's technical premises.
The golden age of the park at the start of the XXth century
A property of over 17 hectares at the start of the XXth century, the parc de la Gaudinière was renovated in 1918 by the Lizé brothers, landscape gardeners from Nantes. It was a working farm at the time and was also home to vines, orchards and a vegetable garden.
The Fontaine Wallace
Designed by the Nantes sculptor Charles Auguste Lebourg (1829 -1906), this fountain was commissioned by the English philanthropist Richard Wallace who started to give these public fountains to the citizens of Paris from 1872. The caryatids symbolise simplicity, goodness, sobriety and charity. At the time, the city of Nantes acquired 10 of them, of which 5 remain today. In addition to this one, they can be found at the Jardin des Plantes, the cours Cambronne and the Place de la Bourse.